Here are some tips how to install stone on the wall or fireplace:
How much stone do you need?
1. Measure the width and the height of the area to be covered and convert to square footage; width x height = total square footage.
2. Figure the square footage of any windows and doors and subtract this amount from the first figure (total square footage – windows and doors).
3. Determine how many linear feet of corner pieces you’ll need. Measure the linear footage of outside 90° corner pieces and convert to square feet. One linear foot of corners will cover about 1/2 square foot of flat area – ie, 20 linear feet of corners = 10 square feet of flat area. Subtract this flat area amount from the total square footage to determine how much total stone you will need. You should allow an extra 5 -10% more stone for cutting and trimming on both corners and flats.
Required Tools & Materials
• Hand grinder with tile disc, Pointing gun(only for brick or single pieces stone cladding), Paint brush, Spirit level, Measure tape, Tilling trowel, Bucket, Mixer
• Thistle bond, Adhesive, Mortar grout, Sealer
How to prepare the surface?
All backgrounds before gluing should be properly well-cured, have a proper load bearing capacity, constant and homogenous structure, be even, dry and cleaned from the paint, adhesive agents and lubricants remaining – the non-stabile coatings should be removed.
• Before gluing a wall should be, whenever needed, levelled with a levelling mortar.
• The background should be primed with thistle bond – surface primer – you can also buy at our store
• The background should be satisfactorily stabile like, e.g. concrete, brick, particleboards, aerated concrete, plasterboards, etc.
How to prepare tiles?
• The differences in colours and sizes between the elements in one box are consciousness and gives an elevation a natural appearance.
• The tiles should be selected from several boxes simultaneously in order to achieve a homogenous distribution of the colour gradation.
• Clean of all tiles removing the excess
The ambient temperature during gluing and within 48h after gluing should not be lower than +5oC and higher than +25oC.
1. Lay the stones out on the floor first and then pick which stones you want to put where.
2. Start installing the stones, beginning in the bottom corners or the most visible places.
3. The adhesive e.g. Cladding Adhesive from Deco Stones should be applied with the spatula in 3-4 sites on the tile. Then we press the tile slightly moving it up to the moment of the even distribution of the adhesive.
4. Turn any trimmed edges either directly up or down, away from the focal point. Press the stones into the mortar, twisting them slightly to squeeze out some of the excess and strengthen the bond. Use a trowel, joint tool, or brush to remove any excess adhesive that has been forced beyond the finished joint, or onto the surface of the stone itself.
5. Gluing should be started from the bottom part. In the case of missed even horizontal support for the tiles, you should start gluing with adjusting using a level and a level staff at the height of circa 11 cm above the floor.
6. The best effect is obtained by gluing the tiles shifted in relation to each other. We recommend a shift of circa 1/3 of the tile length above the floor. One should not glue tiles one below the other. Please, see a drawing below:
7. During the installation stone tiles can be cut and formed according to you needs. Cutting of the tiles may be performed with a saw for wood.
8. If you need, you can paint the panels with most of types of paints. Panels should be primed before painting to create better surface for the paint (just as you will paint the drywall).
After a complete drying (around few days later), a wall shall be protected on its entire surface with an agent which facilitates maintain a clean elevation, e.g. DECO STONES CARE by spraying. Sealed stone will be easier to clean and maintain, and some sealers will repel stains. Reapply the sealer periodically to maximize the advantages be advised some sealers will change the colour of the stone or create a “wet” glossy look.
PROFESSIONAL FITTING SERVICE CAN BE PROVIDED ON REQUEST